Monday, January 08, 2007

Jaci's 4 years old...all grown up!


Ok, so she's been 4 since November 27th. But since I never got to it, I want to do it now. She got to celebrate with her Auntie Gwen whose birthday was a few days sooner as were out of state visiting great-grandma's. We also celebrated with cousins, uncle, Maka and Auntie "Roof" Ann.

Jaci was SO excited about turning 4. However, she was also sad because she knew that when she turned 4 she would be giving up her (security) blankies. We gave her warning several days prior and, we talked about what we should do with the blankies when she gave them up... "Should we give it to kids that don't have them?"...was one suggestion we gave. At first she wanted to pass them on to Emilyn, but then she decided we need to save them for her kids. She told me she is planning to have 5 and 1/2 children, so we will need to save several of her blankies. We got a special bag out for her to put her blankies in.

She mentioned for a few days how much she missed the blankies and asked if she could just look at them. But she has not asked about them recently, except to say that we're saving them for her kids.We've been really proud of her.

Jaci is also starting a few chores...making her bed, taking her dishes to the sink, wiping off her chair of crumbs, cleaning up toys and books...are a few of the regular ones we've started. For those with preschool age children reading this, I would love to know what jobs you have your 4 year old or under do.

Jaci-isms...
Jaci complained recently while Steve was out of town, "Mommy, I miss daddy.". "Do you miss your husband, Mommy?" "Of course I do," I responded, "I love my husband."
"I love your husband, too." she said dramatically.

Preschool Homeschool preschool continues to go well and Jaci is a quick learner. I believe she'd know even more if I spent more time working on things. For now she has been reading some 2 and 3 letter words, knows the sounds and letter of the alphabet--writes many of them, too. In math she is doing well reading double digits and writing her numbers. She can be found teaching Lainey whatever I've just taught her. That works for me!


A Thankful Heart After we got home from spending Christmas with family, we decided it was time to clean out some old toys and books to make room for the new. I stayed up late one night this week sorting, cleaning and re-organizing the girls' play area. In the morning, the girls and I walked down stairs and Jaci immediately noticed the changes. She walked over the the bookshelf in the picture and exclaimed, "This is just what we needed!". I then showed her how the rest of her toys were organized and she sweetly, cordially looked at me and said, "Mommy, this was hard work for you!"I left that room to get their breakfast together and I heard Jaci continue on to her sister, "This is exactly what we needed, isn't it Lainey?"
Then she walked into the kitchen and hugged me saying, "Thank you, Mommy." Very dramatically, but very honestly. I'm recording this moment to remember for all the times the thanks goes unsaid.

And Thank YOU to my mom for all she did for me that I never thanked her for!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cherilyn! I thoroughly enjoyed your updated blog! It is hard to believe that Jaci is so "grown-up!" She's so sweet, too, to thank you for your hard work! Love seeing the pictures of all your girls and hope to see them in person before too long!!!

Give Jaci, Lainey and Emilyn hugs and kisses for me. O.K.?

Betty

Mimi said...

So happy for Jaci's "grateful heart"!