
Lainey won't be 3 until the 14th, but we really wanted to celebrate her special day in advance with our beloved family. This was her birthday party. We had it last Sunday afternoon.
But first, let's back up a bit. Last week as we were pulling out of the garage in the car to go shopping, I asked Lainey offhandedly, "What would you like on your birthday cake this year?"
"An owl!" was her confident reply.
"A what? An OWL?" I asked as clearly as possible to make sure I understood her 100%. As I don't even remember her ever showing any interest at all in that nocturnal creature.
"Yea, a snowy owl!" she smiled broadly and repeated loudly.
"Why an owl?...well, ok..." I decided to shut my mouth, thinking how neat it was that she didn't ask for a commercial character of some sort.
Of course in the next minute Jaci was trying to convince her she needed to choose a theme more exciting like Elmo or something...
But, Lainey stuck to her guns and decided this is what she wanted. Well, I just couldn't figure out why she would want an owl on her cake (as cool a thought as it was). Finally, Stephen fessed up that he'd been reading a book about a Snowy Owl to Lainey--over and over. Great-grandma Judy had recently sent the girls some little paperback books on different animals, and apparently I'd not had the privilege of seeing that one yet.
So, anyway, knowing how very creative my sister-n-law Ruth Ann is, I called and told her "Lainey wants a snowy owl on her birthday cake...can you please be thinking of how we can do that?" It just so happened auntie had a 2 inch high owl statue in her possession. Because auntie had already planned the birthday party to be a teddy bear picnic (how fun is that!) we had to creatively decide how to put it all together. Yes, silent prayer was involved...(I'm really not so naturally creative).
Auntie found some more statues of animals along with teddy grahams. We couldn't decide exactly how to work the two themes together, so made two different cakes. Here is how they turned out. We were up way too late the night before the party, experimenting and having fun creating. All the relatives around us thought we were too giddy to think straight, but all things considered, they turned out ok and Lainey LOVED seeing her owl... Here are some photos...
Up tooooo late!!...

close-ups...yes, there is a bear surfing, one on a noodle, a few inner-tubing and another couple sunbathing.


And do you see the owl on the backside of the other cake?






Special guests included 100 year old Great-grandma, Aunt Jill and Uncle Ron, Uncle Bob, Aunt Sue, Ashlyn, Maka and Auntie. We thank God for lovely sunshine and fellowship with family celebrating Lainey's 3rd year of life.
1 comment:
Well, Cherilyn, thought I was leaving a comment a few minutes ago, but seems I was e-mailing you! Anyway, the pictures are adorable....as always! And I'll bet Lainey is the only one who has EVER had a "Snowy Owl" birthday cake! Ya'll did a great job......I wouldn't have know where to begin! How special to spend the birthday with relatives AND Great Grandma!
Betty
Post a Comment