Monday, September 17, 2007

4 year adoption day....


The above photo was taken 8 days before the courts in Kazakhstan told us "she's yours"! That was 4 years ago this September 17th. We've slightly debated whether or not to make a big deal of celebrating this day or not, as we do not want to single her out from the other girls. However, it is SO hard not to celebrate and get sentimental because that was the day we became parents. THAT was her "birth day" in a sense for us. THAT was the day the reality that she was truly ours came to pass. THAT was the day with tears in our eyes we rode with our sleeping new baby girl out of the gates of the baby house--after all those months of labor and prayerful "wanting". THAT was the day our lives were changed forever.
We are so deeply grateful to the Lord for the blessing of her life, that we can't keep quiet. So we will keep celebrating "with" her until and unless one day she decides she'd rather we not draw attention to it and we will respectfully oblige.
My mom, her Mimi, says she can't ever imagine Jaci not loving the attention it brings...so we shall see.
The night before Daddy explained that we would celebrate adoption day as a family when he got home from work the next day. She asked me if we would "celebrate before the celebration" tomorrow... Too cute. We did start the celebration early with a gift. An "angel" charm...
You see, we started a charm bracelet her first year with us, on which we intend each Adoption Day to add a new charm. She will not be allowed to keep the bracelet in her care until her late teens. However, I did let her wear her charm on a necklace ONLY for the day.
We went to the park for playgroup and she ran up to one of the moms and declared, "Today is my adoption day!" She then proceeded to show the mother the angel charm around her neck. Thankfully this new acquaintance of mine "made over her" on her special day. I told her she would be allowed also to wear it on Sunday (she'd like to show her Sunday school teachers) but then we will put it in a safe place until she is older. Also, note the necklace of mine(that Auntie Ruth Ann made for me long ago) I let Lainey wear for the day, so she would know how special she is, too!


When Jaci woke up from her nap today (adoption day) she said, "I'm so proud to be part of this family. It's going to be so fun to celebrate my adoption day." I think she meant "happy" to be part of the family (the girls tend to use proud in that sense and I'm trying to explain what it really means!)...
When daddy got home from work, he took us to dinner to celebrate. Jaci opened a second gift (earrings from Mimi and Pepe) and 2 matching plastic rings for the "sissies". They asked where Emilyn's was... ha. The matching rings made it more of a family affair. In fact, we kind of touched on the idea of making it "family celebration day" instead of merely "adoption day" so that ALL are included in some way. It's not just Jaci's special day, it was a special day for ALL of us. Without that day, the girls would not have their big sister...and we would not have our baby. It is adoption day for ALL of us.
The day ended with Jaci's "favorite"...cake! Oh, and then a snuggle on the floor with daddy reading. In closing, please say a prayer for my brother's family as they endure the incredibly long process of adopting a little girl from China. Please pray for my "unknown by us, but known by God" niece, while you're at it! Before we know it, they'll be blogging their own "adoption day". Stay tuned here!

11 comments:

Mimi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Yes, we are so blessed to be able to celebrate "adoption day", and WE ARE PROUD that Jaci in fact, was the start of the "[ ] Family"!!
Interesting that Chrissy says that in the Chinese adoption circles "they" call in "Gottca Day"!! Cute, huh?

Mimi

Cher said...

It's not just in Chinese adoption circles--many who adopt call it "Gotcha Day" including those from Kazakhstan. We have a children's book my kids read called "Happy Adoption Day!" and so we just chose to keep it generic.

Cher

Patti Simmons (Sam's mom) said...

I love your girls so much! I remember being at a conference in Orlando for work when you sent the picture of Jaci! I was so excited for you guys that I printed it out on the poor little printer in the hotel business center to show Brad and everyone I knew! God has created such a special and perfect family for you and Steve has lots of beautiful girls to be proud of! Love you!

Lisa said...

Hooray! I can't believe it has been four years. That's amazing :) I love the idea of everyone celebrating it together. That's so cool. YOu have a wonderful family.

Unknown said...

I also remember receiving those poor quality little pics over our computer and being so happy to have such a cute little niece - (my first one!!) Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Betty Says....
It is definitely hard to believe that it has been four years! What a wonderful gift Jaci is to ALL of us! Reading your blog brought tears to my eyes....and of course, I remember when we got our twins on August 30, 2001....what a day THAT was! We (you and our family) are so blessed to have these precious little girls in our lives. Am glad for all the celebrations!

Looking forward to your visit!

Love,
Betty

Chris Sapp said...

Happy Adoption/Family Day!!!!!!!!! How wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Happy 4 year Adoption Day!
That photo of Jaci with you brings me right back - remember all the laps we did round the grounds of Umit that September. You used to say 'Hey, we knew you were just round the corner - we could hear Elena!!!' She did like to make a lot of noise!! Jaci used to watch and take everything in - and I remember she loved to suck on her fingers!

I don't really know why but the day we usually celebrate is the day that Elena arrived in Ireland - maybe because we were so anxious to have her meet her big sister for the first time and I still get tears in my eyes when I think of how excited Darrelle (7) was in the airport after being apart from us for a month while she waited for us to bring Elena home - so yes you are right - the idea of Family Day is lovely - although we now have another Adoption Day to celebrate!

Enjoy all those precious little sisters and yes we will meet at Disney someday but I dont think we will be able to make it THIS Christmas!! sigh :(

Adrienne

Anonymous said...

Sorry - add to previous post!!!

Just reading back over the comment
above 'I don't really know why but the day we usually celebrate is ...' and it sounded to me like I was saying 'I don't know WHY we are celebrating.... what I meant was I dont really knew why we decided to celebrate the day we arrived home as opposed to the day of our court' but anyway guess our 'Gotcha Day is celebrated the day our family all were together for the first time ... Anyway guess I am just a little 'brain tired' as it's Friday night after the end of a long week and trying to juggle being just back at work after my year of being a full time stay -at-home Mom!!! Life sure is busy with little ones!!

Ok think it is time for bed and to recharge my batteries!!
Goodnight
Adrienne

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you celebrated and shared about your Adoption Family day!!! It was a reminder to me to look back on God's goodness in my own life a little more often and to celebrate what He's done! Happy (Late) Adoption Day to your whole family!