Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A Little Homeschool Update...

By request of one of my long time friends and faithful blog readers (thanks Lisa!) I post a short homeschool update. I admit, I've been slack on the homeschool blog I made--it's not as easy as blogger.com and even with the ease, you can see how I often slack in managing to keep this one up as well. So here we go...
One recent week we studied all about Animal Homes. Jaci became particularly enamoured with birds and how they lay eggs, build nests, etc. So after our lesson one day, Jaci decided to build a "nest" as shown here:


Here, Jaci uses the "bluebird wings" Auntie Ruth Ann knit for her birthday to be the mama bird. Notice she put "food" in the mouth of her baby bird (played willingly by Lainey). Notice how the mama bird covers her baby with her wing.

Outside of our normal homeschool curriculum Jaci has recently taken an interest in learning about the Presidents of the United States. So taking off on her interest, she has built a Presidential puzzle a few times with daddy, enjoys looking at Presidential flashcards and any other materials we can get our hands on. She has observed that most of the paintings of past Presidents do not show smiles.
So it was funny when one day she saw a billboard with a serious looking male face on it and asked if he was one of the Presidents.

Our latest unit study has been on turtles. Here Jaci decided to make a sea turtle, while Lainey tried her hand at a land turtle.

In between is math, reading and writing...but I haven't found any interesting pictures to take of that I'm afraid...

5 comments:

Marla said...

How precious! And how wonderful that you can take off and focus on the subjects and projects that really capture their little imaginations! Something not possible in institutional education!!! Thanks for keeping me updated. Love you guys, and Happy New Year 2008!!!!!!!

Lisa said...

I love it. Thanks Cher. I think it is absolutely hysterical that Jaci really likes the Presidents. Of course living here in DC my first thought is she is a shoe in for politics :) But I realized there are still a few years to go. I have to say I was never once enamored with the Presidents and I stay out of politics even here in the middle of it. It will be fun to see if this turns into anything.

Chris Sapp said...

Who wouldn't love homeschool with al those neat activities???!!! So fun :-) It was great getting to see you if only for a moment!

Anonymous said...

How in the world do you have time to put together so many activities??!!! I love the presidental focus! Growing up I was always interested in the First Ladies. I read a book on every single one of them.

Anonymous said...

auntie cherilyn,
we were wondering what your blog address is for the homeschooling blog!?! we'd love to check it out too. we started blogging because of your blog and we love it! thanks for the updates.
love from out west,
jennie