Monday, October 02, 2006

Too close to nature...?!

Is it really possible to be too close to nature? Have you ever wondered why I choose not to garden? Well, let me exhibit for you Sample A: Steve accidentally ran over this guy with the lawn mower. Yes, I'm honestly still having nightmares. Call me a wimp. I don't care. I am, I am.

Ok...you'd think we live in the amazon with all the wild visitors we get at our house. Steve just considers it more "Science Class" for the girls. So, my dear husband, Steve "Irwin" Amborski found a critter under our deck out back. He said hello and carried on. Later that evening the poor guy had fallen into a window well by our basement. "Guy" being a Groundhog. Thankfully Mr. Irwin took his wife's advice instead of his own. He was going to go down and bare-handedly pick it up by the neck and walk him to the stream in the park out back. But unlike Mr. Irwin used to do--say hello, pick up, get bit--I did not wish for my sweet husband to get hurt. So I suggested he tie a rope to a bucket and bait him in.

Steve used a broom to scoot him in. He planned to take him to the stream...however, when he came up on the deck to show me and I asked him cautiously, "He can't get out, can he?" The little guy came leaping out and scurried away (while I ran the opposite direction I might add).


Later after church he was in our neighbor's driveway and headed for the street. He kept doing circles and Steve says the animal is hurt (was even before falling in the window well) and delusional. So Mr. Irwin saw it his duty to continue on his rescue mission and put on a show for the neighbors and passersby as he wrangled the animal back into the bucket. Meanwhile, Jaci and Lainey are yelling out the window, "Bring him back! He's mine!" So we had to explain the whole pet vs. wild animal thing. To hopefully satisfy her, I promised that she could pray for him and wave hello to "her" buddy anytime he passes by the house (not IN the house). Steve got the animal to water and we haven't seen the animal since. Hopefully he's found greener pastures that are human-free.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Thank you, Steve, for protecting my daughter and grandchildren from the wildlife around there....you are my hero! You stole the show from your wife as far as entertaining the neighbors with your animal antics I bet! Can't wait to see what else finds it's way "into your lives"!