Monday, April 14, 2008

Naptime interruption...

The culprit:

This is a rocking chair that my parents got for me when I was 2 years old. It has been in Jaci and Lainey's room for a few years. Today as we were getting ready for naptime, I had just finished brushing Lainey's teeth when I heard a loud slam and then a horrific cry come from the bedroom. Both Jaci and Emilyn were crying and I prayed an emergency prayer before I went in on the scene before me.

Jaci had rocked in the rocking chair with her back to her bed. She fell backwards and slammed the back of her head on the metal frame that holds her box spring and mattress. She was still laying down on it when I ran in and got her up.

Thankfully my mom (their Mimi) was here and she promptly put ice on it while Jaci continued to wail in pain. We could not see an open wound or anything, until after we had all the girls in their beds for naps. Then Mimi found blood on her own shirt, and sure enough there was a gaping, bleeding 1/3 inch hole on Jaci's head.

I am very queasy and nervous when it comes to these things, so thankfully my mom is a nurse and was able to take it. Our wonderful neighbor "Miss Mary" rearranged her day to come and sit with Lainey and Emilyn while Mimi came with Jaci and me to get her head looked at. I called her pediatrician and he said to go to ER that she'll probably need stitches. Mom suggested I call the walk-in clinic first and I learned they do stitches, so off we went.

I think it was hardest for me, next to Jaci. She got frightened a few times at what they would do, but was very brave overall. I tried to keep my cool and not show on my face what I was feeling. But the dr. must have noticed because he suggested I sit in a chair while Mimi was up by Jaci's head helping with things. Jaci ended up needing just one staple which we pray is enough to keep it shut and heal. Thanks for praying with us and that no infection will appear.

Also, we are giving thanks to the Lord that "worse" didn't happen.
Here's her little gash that felt "big" to us today...


Here she is wearing a shower cap as we can't wash her hair for a few days. She thought it was pretty funny to wear a "hat" in the bathtub.

Here is Jaci a few weeks ago taking care of her "sick" baby sister. Today we were trying to take care of her!

6 comments:

Chris Sapp said...

So glad she is okay. It reminds me of 2 New Year's Eve ago when Mateo fell into our table and gashed his head open :-( It was worse for me, too.

Anonymous said...

Aunt Betty says....oh my! Am sooooooo glad your Mom "Mimi" was there to help you! Glad to hear it wasn't any worse, too. Give Jaci an extra get well hug from me!

Anonymous said...

Hugs to Jaci! When Nate got stitches at 18 months, I cried more than he did. I think it is hardest on us!

Anonymous said...

so glad jaci is o.k. i hate when jacob has anything done with needles or pain and it's always on "my watch." glad to hear that mimi was there too. it always helps to have that extra support!
jennie

Unknown said...

Aww, I bet she had quite a headache with that one! Alexia likes wearing shower caps in the shower too when it's not a hair washing night.

Anonymous said...

from Aunt Marlene-----
Poor baby! And aren't grandmoms wonderful......
Our 6 year old grandson Zach fell off his bike a month or so ago and had to have 9 stitches in his little chin.