Thursday, May 28, 2009

Jaci's wedding blues...

This evening we told Jaci and Lainey that we would be taking them to a wedding this weekend. A family friend is getting married. They got very excited and decided they'd like to watch our wedding video to remember what a wedding is like before going to this one.
After taking in every detail of the ceremony, it was time for dinner. Jaci came to the table and just sat there balling her eyes out, tears streaming down her face. "What's wrong?" I asked. I assumed she might be crying because she saw her Pepe (my deceased stepfather) and Opa (Steve's deceased dad) in the video and she was missing them.
"I don't know" she wept.
"Was it something in the video, Jaci?"
"Yes. I wasn't at your wedding and I love you and dad more than anything. I couldn't be at YOUR wedding."
I tried to explain to her how we got married 4 years before she was even born and that we believe it's good for a man and wife to get married first before having children. I tried to reassure her that if we'd had her before marriage, she would have been in the wedding.
She nodded her head that she understood, but I'm not sure it hit her heart. Steve then walked over to comfort her and said, "Well, you may not have been able to be at our wedding, but we're sure glad you are in our lives now, Jaci."
It was actually a very moving evening emotionally!
I know, I know, before we know it we'll be walking her down the aisle at her own wedding. But for now, we'll just enjoy her sweet, childlike insights on these things.
The above photo is actually from our vacation last week when Steve was spraying Jaci's hair with detangler after playing on the beach. I thought she looked a bit dramatic. I posted this one since I didn't have one of her crying tonight.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Aw, Poor Jaci! That is sooo sweet!

Funny the way these little ones think sometimes......

Regards
Adrienne

Anonymous said...

Aunt Betty says....well, you just never know what they're thinking. And you're right....time will FLY and before you know it, Steve will be walking your girls down the isle.....sooooo just enjoy them for now and cherish every moment.